Politics

        Zelenskyy: Russia combined ballistic and cruise missiles and drones to strike civilian infrastructure

        President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Russian forces had prepared the massive attack on Ukraine in advance and combined different types of ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and drones in an effort to inflict maximum damage on civilian infrastructure.

        Zelenskyy said this on the morning of August 20.

        According to him, damage was recorded in Kyiv and the Kyiv region, as well as in the Odesa and Chernihiv regions.

        Ad
        Ad

        Residential buildings were damaged in the capital, including a high-rise building whose upper floors were destroyed, as well as a children’s hospital and a school. Emergency and rescue operations are ongoing.

        As of the morning, Zelenskyy said 12 people had been killed in Kyiv as a result of the Russian attack. One more person was killed in the Kyiv region. Around 40 people were injured.

        In the Odesa region, Russian forces attacked a border crossing with Moldova using drones, while gas infrastructure was struck in the Chernihiv region.

        Zelenskyy thanked rescuers, medics, police officers and municipal workers who are working at the strike sites and helping those affected.

        The president also said the international response to such Russian attacks is not always sufficient.

        According to him, as long as Ukraine does not have enough anti-ballistic missile defenses, Russia will not seriously consider peace.

        Zelenskyy said Ukraine is working every day on the FREYJA program to strengthen its defenses, but there is currently no substitute for interceptor missiles for Patriot systems.

        The president stressed that Ukraine needs them every day and that every additional interceptor missile helps save lives.


        Ad
        Ad

        Top News

        Last News

        more news
        Social Ad
        Azov